BSA has created updated versions of the Troop Program features for Scouts BSA. The Living History program feature is available in digital format on the BSA website or can be purchased as a publication from you local Scout Shop.
The Living History feature lets Scouts experience different cultures, times, and places in an interactive and hands on manner. They witness reenactments and learn about historical events and different ways of life. The program feature includes some general information and some more specific ideas for meetings:
- First person and third person reenactment
- Creating a historical persona
- Historical recipes and cooking methods
- Outdoor life
- Historical firearms
- History at Philmont Scout Ranch
Suggested troop meeting ideas are grouped by essential, challenging, or advanced. Here are a few you can see in the guide.
- Make an item for a historical persona (essential)
- Make a costume for a persona (challenging)
- Make a costume using original material (advanced)
- Research your persona (essential)
- Develop you persona and costume (challenging)
- List appropriate accessories for your persona (advanced)
- Make a menu of period recipes (essential)
- Create a Dutch oven meal plan (challenging)
- Create a menu with doesn’t require utensils (advanced)
- Make candles or fire starters (essential)
- Learn about period weapons (challenging)
- Learn about period lodging (advanced)
There are also several games suggested to keep things interesting at your troop meetings
- Colonial and Pioneer Games
The plan even provides Scoutmaster’s minutes and ceremonies for meetings.
Then there is the “Main Event”. Once again, there are suggestions for essential, challenging, or advanced. Details and planning aids can be found in the online guide.
- Participate in a parade wearing period clothing (essential)
- Participate in a rendezvous or reenactment event (challenging)
- Spend a whole weekend in persona (advanced)
Find some related helps and achievements for the Living History Troop Program Feature below.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?