St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner. Here is a fun recipe to make with your Cub Scouts to celebrate.
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 to 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 to 1 ½ tsp green food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Mix the shortening, butter, sugar, egg, and flavoring thoroughly.
- Stir in the flour and salt and then the coloring.
- To shape the shamrocks, roll 3 small balls (¼ tsp each) of dough.
- Place the three balls together on a cookie sheet.
- Shape a small stem and place it next to the balls.
- Flatten the balls with your fingers. It should look like a shamrock.
- Continue making shamrocks in this manner.
- Bake about 9 minutes
- Shape the balls one cookie at a time. Otherwise they might dry out and crack when they are flattened.
- Cookies may also be decorated with green sugar or frosting