Sunday, February 7, 2021
National Periodic Table Day is February 7 of each year. The development of the periodic table helps scientists understand the relationships between various elements and to understand their properties. It is especially important in the study of chemistry and nuclear physics.
John Newlands published an early version of the periodic table on February 7, 1963. Although this table was not perfect, it was useful in predicting the existence of previously undiscovered elements and was a precursor to the modern periodic table.
Some suggestions for this date:
- Read The Periodic Table: A visual guide to the elements to learn more about the elements and their special properties in info-graphic form
- Promote the Chemistry Merit Badge
- Promote the Nuclear Science Merit Badge
- Promote the Supernova Awards which include these badges
- Put together a periodic table jigsaw puzzle
Here are a couple more ideas for #PeriodicTableDay