This summer, our troop and crew will be attending Catholic Adventure Week at Swift Base. This is just one of several themed camps offered by our council. Our Scouts BSA Troop does this as a second week of summer camp, with the first being a traditional Scout camp.
Catholic Adventure Week is for Scouts BSA and Venturers. In the mornings, the participants get to try out the different programs at Swift Base, including water skiing, tubing, kneeboarding, sailing, canoeing, kayaking, standup paddle boards, swimming, climbing and rappelling on natural cliffs, horseback riding, challenge courses, and more. The camp even has a water park with slides and other activities.
In the afternoons, Scouts BSA work on merit badges and Venturers and older Scouts can participate in a Kodiak Challenge. (More on that advanced youth leadership training in a later post.)
In addition, the local Catholic Committee on Scouting provides opportunities for prayer, religious instruction, and reflection throughout the week. Seminarians camp on the camp sites also.
Other special Venturing Summer camps
- Past, Present, and Future: All of the great program at Swift, plus special programming related to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics), historical reinactors, and trades.
- Sea Scouts vs Pirates: Just what it sounds like – a week with lots of sailing and aquatics activities.
- Are You Tough Enough: The special program at this week of Venturing camp features outdoor skills, search and rescue, wilderness survival, and shooting sports.
Other special Boy Scout Weeks
There are also themed weeks for Scouts BSA:
In addition to six weeks of traditional summer camp at three different camps and Catholic Adventure Week, our council offers
- Eagle Trail Camp: A week with more Eagle required merit badges and help with getting started on the leadership project process.
- Fishing Camp: For the Boy Scout who likes to reel them in this camp focuses on Fishing, Fly Fishing, and Fish and Wildlife Management
- STEM Camp: A week with a science, technology, engineering, and mathematics focus with lots of badge offerings in those areas.
- Horse Camp: No surprises here, just lots of horseback riding.
- Ranger Camp: For those who enjoy roughing it. This camp offers a week of backpacking and living in the wild. They backpack to a different location each day and find a different program at each location. My oldest did this camp several years ago and loved it. “Rangers rule the Ranch!”
Does your council offered themed weeks of summer camp for Scouts BSA and Venturers? Which ones do you think are the best ideas?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?