Registering a Junior Assistant Scoutmaster

Reader Michael sent in this question:

How do I go about registering an Eagle Scout in my troop as a Junior Assistant Scoutmaster?

Junior Assistant Scoutmaster is a youth position. Therefore, if the Scout is already registered in your troop as a youth member, there is no need for any additional registration.

If the Eagle Scout is already 18 years old, then he should be registered as an adult in the troop as an Assistant Scoutmaster. He will need to take the BSA youth protection course. In our council, ASMs must also attend Boy Scout Leader Specific Training and Introduction to Outdoor Skills. I am not sure if that is a council expectation or a BSA requirement though. Check with your local council.

In either case, this Eagle Scout can serve as a mentor and resource for the youth leaders in your troop. The Scouts in our troop really relate well to young adults who fill the roles of ASM and JASM.

One Response to Registering a Junior Assistant Scoutmaster

  1. Bryan Spellman October 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM #

    You forgot the most important part. Whether JASM or ASM the position is selected by the Scoutmaster.

    If Michael is the SM and the Scout is registered then he can assign him as a JASM, just like you would an Elected SPL, PL or other POR.

    If the Scout is 18, that’s the CCs job to get him registered as an Adult, the Scouts job to take the training and the SMs job to ask him to be an ASM.

    Might sound picky but i’ve had parents come tell my SPL (or me) Oh, my son is an Historian and needs credit for Leadership. Nevermind it’s the SPL and his PLC who select and assign the youth PORs for the Troop.

    Yours In Scouting

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: