BSA has created updated versions of the Troop Program features for Scouts BSA. The Paddle Sports program feature is available in digital format on the BSA website or can be purchased as a publication from you local Scout Shop.
The Paddle Sports program feature helps Scouts learn how to safely enjoy non-motorized trips on the water. Scouts learn about canoeing, kayaking, or stand up paddleboarding. The program feature includes some general information and some more specific ideas for meetings:
- How to size and wear a PFD (lifejacket)
- The equipment needed for using canoes, kayaks, and stand up paddleboards
- How to safely operate a paddlecraft
- Planning for a successful and safe float trip
Suggested troop meeting ideas are grouped by essential, challenging, or advanced. Here are a few you can see in the guide.
- Review the buddy system (essential)
- Learn about life jackets (essential)
- Identify paddling hazards (challenging)
- List the first aid supplies for a paddling adventure (advanced)
- Learn basic paddling skills (essential)
- Learn additional strokes (challenging)
- Learn about solo paddling vs tandem paddling (advanced)
- Learn how to enter and exit a canoe (essential)
- Learn to enter a canoe in deep water (challenging)
- Learn rescue techniques (advanced)
- Learn the bowline and trucker’s hitch knots (essential)
- Learn how to load and unload a canoe on a vehicle (challenging)
- Learn about high adventure paddling trips (advanced)
There are also several games suggested to keep things interesting at your troop meetings.
- Paddlecraft Parts
- Dress for Success
- Mobile Boat
The plan even provides Scoutmaster’s minutes and ceremonies for meetings.
Then there is the “Main Event”. Once again, there are suggestions for essential, challenging, or advanced. Details and planning aids can be found in the online guide.
- Spend a day paddling (essential)
- Plan and execute an overnight canoeing campout (challenging)
- Plan or participate in a paddling competition (advanced)
Find some related helps and achievements for the Paddle Sports Troop Program Feature below.