Sometimes Scouts have trouble coming up with new ideas when planning meals for camp. Foil packs, hamburgers, hotdogs, repeat. Get creative with some new ideas.
Cooking Ranger Core Requirement
Venturing Ranger Award Core Requirement – Cooking
- Plan a menu and purchase the food for at least six people for a two night campout with at least three meals.
- On the campout in (a) above, cook the three meals using at least two of the following three methods of cooking: fire/coals, charcoal, stove.
- Demonstrate and explain proper safe food handling methods for outdoor cooking.
- Demonstrate that you can prepare backpacking-type trail food using a backpacking style stove.
- Without using any cooking utensils, prepare a meal with the four basic food groups for three people.
- Cook an entree, a bread, and a dessert in a Dutch oven.
The Venturing Ranger requirements provide an opportunity for Venturers to explore a number of areas related to the outdoors. To earn the Venturing Ranger award, a young man or woman must complete eight core requirements and four electives.
To earn the Venturing Ranger award, a young man or woman must complete eight core requirements and four electives. One of the core requirements is cooking.
This is a self contained camp stove which burns twigs, charcoal, wood pellets, etc. It has a small battery powered fan to draw air.