The Venturing Ranger requirements provide an opportunity for Venturers to explore a number of areas related to the outdoors. To earn the Venturing Ranger award, a young man or woman must complete eight core requirements and four electives.
Cooking Ranger Core Requirement
Venturing Ranger Award Core Requirement – Cooking
- Plan a menu and purchase the food for at least six people for a two night campout with at least three meals.
- On the campout in (a) above, cook the three meals using at least two of the following three methods of cooking: fire/coals, charcoal, stove.
- Demonstrate and explain proper safe food handling methods for outdoor cooking.
- Demonstrate that you can prepare backpacking-type trail food using a backpacking style stove.
- Without using any cooking utensils, prepare a meal with the four basic food groups for three people.
- Cook an entree, a bread, and a dessert in a Dutch oven.
To earn the Venturing Ranger award, a young man or woman must complete eight core requirements and four electives. One of the core requirements is cooking.
This is a self contained camp stove which burns twigs, charcoal, wood pellets, etc. It has a small battery powered fan to draw air.
Venturing is a BSA program for young men and women. The Venturing Ranger Award exemplifies a challenging high-level outdoor/high-adventure skills program.