Venturing Archives: Communications Ranger Core Requirement
To earn complete the Communications core requirement for the Venturing Ranger award, Venturers must learn and practice communications skills. Then they must share their knowledge of communications with others.
Venturing Ranger Award Core Requirement – Communications
Do (a), (b), or (c)
- Take a communications-related training class that includes at least 15 hours of training. This could be a non-required course at school such as creative writing, technical writing, American Sign Language, or film production. It could also be a commercial course such as speed-reading or effective presentations.
- Actively participate in a communications-related club or organization for at least three months. Participate in at least three activities of the organization where you practice or improve your communications skills. Examples include Toastmasters, debate clubs, or drama clubs.
- Read at least two books approved by your Advisor on a communications subject of interest to you. Write or give a report to your crew on the important communications principles you learned and how you think you can apply these principles to improve your communications.
Do (d), (e), or (f) in connection with an outdoor skill or area you are interested in. Have your Advisor approve your plan before you begin.
- Make a formal, oral presentation of at least 30 minutes to your crew, another crew, a Cub or Boy Scout group, or another youth group. Include demonstrations, visual aids, or other techniques that will help you communicate more effectively.
- Prepare and present an audio/video presentation at least 15 minutes long to your crew or other group approved by your Advisor.
- Prepare a written pamphlet, set of instructions, or description and summary. It should be at least 1,000 words and provide a complete description of your chosen subject. Include pictures, charts, and/or diagrams to better communicate your topic. Have two people, one with expertise in the area you are presenting and one without expertise, read and critique your work. Make improvements to your draft based on their input. If your work is applicable to your crew, such as a work on caving skills, then share your work with your crew.
AND Do (g).
- Make a tabletop display or presentation for your crew, another crew, a Cub or Boy Scout group, or another youth group on communications equipment used in the outdoors with emphasis on how this equipment would help in a wilderness survival situation.
Venturing Ranger Award Requirements The Venturing Ranger requirements provide an opportunity for Venturers to explore a number of areas related to the outdoors. To earn the Venturing Ranger award, a young man or woman must complete eight core requirements and four electives.
Venturing Ranger Award Core Requirement – Communications To earn the Venturing Ranger award, a young man or woman must complete eight core requirements and four electives. One of the core requirements is communications.
Tips for a Great Table Top Display Table top displays are a way to show off a hobby, collection, event, or other project. Or you can showcase your unit's program. As part of the Hobbies Troop Program Feature for Boy Scouts, table top displays are used in a hobby fair to show of each Scout's particular hobby. In addition, for several of the Venturing awards, Venturers must create a table top display.
Helps and Requirements for the Ranger Award Venturing is a BSA program for young men and women. The Venturing Ranger Award exemplifies a challenging high-level outdoor/high-adventure skills program.
BSA Methods - Teaching Others The methods of Scouting are the ways that Scouting's aims of developing character, citizenship, and fitness in youth are achieved. One of the methods for Venturers is “teaching others”. Teaching others is the best way to really acquire deep knowledge of an area. By sharing their skills with others, Venturers retain their knowledge better and provide service to others
Past Posts On This Day
April 23, 2013
April 23, 2012
April 23, 2011
April 23, 2010