A reader asks about helping an auditory learner with the Webelos requirements. Songs can be a big help to auditory learners.
Aquanaut Activity Badge
Aquanaut is about being at ease and safe in the water. Find helps for this badge here.
Jump into water over your head. Come to the surface and swim 100 feet, at least half of this using a backstroke.
- Stay in the water after the swim and float on your back and your front, and demonstrate survival floating.
- Put on a personal floatation device (PFD) that is the right size for you. Make sure it is properly fastened. Wearing the PFD, jump into water over your head. Show how the PFD keeps your head above water by swimming 25 feet. Get out of the water, remove the PFD, and hang it where it will dry.
And do three of these:
Do a front surface dive and swim under water for four strokes before returning to the surface.
- Explain the four basic water rescue methods. Demonstrate reaching and throwing rescues.
- With an adult on board, show that you know how to handle a rowboat.
- Pass the BSA “Swimmer” test:
Jump feet-first into water over the head in depth, level off, and begin swimming.
- Swim 75 yards in a strong manner using one or more of the following strokes: sidestroke, breaststroke, trudgen, or crawl.
- Then swim 25 yards using an easy, resting backstroke.
- After completing the swim, rest by floating.
Safe Swim Defense provides the steps which a BSA unit must take to safely participate in an activity which involves swimming.
Since I am focusing on an aquatics theme this month, I thought I’d post about water rescue methods. These are methods used to rescue someone who is in trouble in the water. You will see these methods throughout the BSA programs from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts to Venturing.
The BSA swim test is used to determine ability level so that participants can swim in an area which is appropriate for them.
The most familiar application of skill level limits is the swim tests which are administered at summer camp. But there are other examples as well.
The core value for Cub Scouts for the month of May is Health and Fitness. According to the program helps health and fitness is: Being personally committed to keeping our minds and bodies cleanand fit.Cub Scouts will learn that it is important and easy to eat a healthy diet and how a fitnessprogram can be […]
Before embarking on a boating activity with your scouts, make sure everyone is aware of the Safety Afloat guidelines.