One of the Cub Scout themes for the June core value of Perseverance is an Over the Horizon theme. This program theme is based on hiking.
Wolf Elective 18 - Outdoor Adventure
A lot of Cub Scouting belongs outdoors with picnics, treasure hunts, and adventure trails.
Wolf Elective 18 Requirements
- Help plan and hold a picnic with your family or den.
- With an adult, help plan and run a family or den outing.
- Help plan and lay out a treasure hunt something like this. (See the handbook for an example.)
- Help plan and lay out an obstacle race.
- Use this idea or make up your own. (See the handbook for an example)
- Help plan and lay out an adventure trail.
- Take part in two summertime pack events with your den.
- Point out poisonous plants. Tell what to do if you accidentally touch one of them.
One of the Cub Scout themes for the May core value of Health and Fitness is a Backyard Fun theme.
A reader asks “What is an adventure trail for Wolf Elective 18?”. An adventure trail is five activities or games set up in different areas of a park.
BSA provides Wolf den meeting plans for Cub Scout den leaders. In this den meeting plan Wolf Cub Scouts go on a picnic and play some games together.
If you are out with a goal oriented group and you want them to take some time to explore, consider adding one or more additional hiking activities.
BSA offers supplemental pack program ideas for each month. One of the Cub Scout themes for the May core value of Health and Fitness is a Destination Parks theme.
BSA provides Wolf den meeting ideas for Cub Scout den leader. This plan covers Wolf Elective 18 – Outdoor Adventure and Wolf Elective 19 – Fishing
If your Cub Scouts attended day camp or resident camp over the summer, you might want to encourage them to work on their Cub Scout Outdoor Activity Award.
Hopefully your Cub Scout Pack will remain active this summer. If your Pack has one activity each month, you might qualify for the National Summertime Pack Award.
Hiking is one of the new additions to the Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program. I really like this added incentive to get our Cub Scouts outdoors.
Wolf is the Cub Scout program for boys in 2nd grade. Find helps and requirements for the Wolf program on this page.