Cub Scout Archives: Handyman Activity Badge
Webelos will learn how to take care of their homes and make small repairs while working on the Handyman activity badge. Find helps for this badge here.
- With your parent, guardian, or Webelos den leader, complete the Responsibility Character Connection.
- Know: List all the tasks you can think of that are necessary in keeping a household in good shape. Name the tasks that are your responsibility. Tell what it means to be responsible for these tasks.
- Commit: Talk about what happens when people don’t do their jobs. Tell why it is important to be helpful and to be responsible. list ways that you can be more responsible on your own.
- Practice: Choose one of the requirements and show how you are responsible by doing that task well for two weeks.
And do six of these:
- With adult supervision, wash a car.
- Help an adult change a tire on a car.
- With adult supervision, replace a bulb in the taillight, turn signal, or parking light or replace a headlight on a car.
- With adult supervision, show how to check the oil level and tire pressure on a car.
- Make a repair to a bicycle, such as tightening the chain, fixing a flat tire, or adjusting the seat or handlebars.
- Properly lubricate the chain and crank on a bicycle.
- Properly inflate the tires on a bicycle.
- Change the wheels on a skateboard or pair of inline skates.
- Replace a light bulb in a fixture or lamp.
- With adult supervision, arrange a storage area for household cleaners and other dangerous materials where small children cannot reach them.
- Build a sawhorse or stool to be used around your home.
- Help take care of the lawn.
- Arrange a storage area for hand tools or lawn and garden tools.
- Clean and properly store hand tools or lawn and garden tools in their storage area.
- Label hand tools or lawn and garden tools.
- Put together a toolbox for common repairs around the house. Be sure the toolbox and tools are stored safely.
Helping an Auditory Learner with Webelos Requirements A reader asks about helping an auditory learner with the Webelos requirements. Songs can be a big help to auditory learners.
Webelos Requirements A reader who is a new Webelos den leader is confused about how many activity badges must be completed. We try to sort it out.
BSA Arrow of Light Den Meeting Plan 11 – Handyman This idea from the Webelos den meeting plans covers the Handyman Activity Badge. Webelos learn how to take care of bicycles and automobiles.
Bike Rodeo Our pack might be doing a bike rodeo this year. I have visited these before, but we have never put one on ourselves. So I am researching possible "stations" which the kids can rotate through for the activity.
Bike Repair Tips This month I am focusing on cycling. If you are going to ride a bike, you'd better make sure it is in good repair first. You don't want to be riding along and have your front wheel fall off or your brakes not work. I found a great website called How To Fix Bikes which offers all sorts of advice on - drum roll... - how to fix bikes!
Bike Inspection Checklist Before riding a bike, Scouts should know how to do an inspection of the bicycle and check that it is in working order. The checklist below will give you a good starting point. You will need to explain each step to the Scouts so they learn the terminology and why each part is important.
Cycling Theme I am featuring a Bikes theme this month. This theme has lots of useful information for Cub Scouts, but much of it applies to Boy Scouts and Venturers also. Boy Scouts can use the aids you will see this month with the Cycling merit badge. And Venturers will find this information useful for the Cycling/Mountain Biking elective for the Ranger Award.
Helps and Requirements for Webelos Webelos is the Cub Scout program for boys in 4th and 5th grade. Find helps and requirements for the Webelos program on this page.
Past Posts On This Day
October 30, 2013
October 30, 2012
October 30, 2011
October 30, 2010