Cub Scout Archives: Geologist Activity Badge
Webelos learn about the history of earth and rocks while working on the Geologist activity badge. Find helps for this badge here.
Do five of these:
- Collect five geologic specimens that have important uses.
- Rocks and minerals are used in metals, glass, jewelry, road-building products, and fertilizer. Give examples of minerals used in these products.
- Make a scale of mineral hardness for objects found at home. Show how to use the scale by finding the relative hardness of three samples.
- List some of the geologic materials used in building your home.
- Make a drawing that shows the cause of a volcano, a geyser, or an earthquake.
- Explain one way in which mountains are formed.
- Describe what a fossil is. How is it used to tell how old a formation is? Find two examples of fossils in your area.
- Take a field trip to a geological site, geological laboratory, or rock show. Discuss what you learned at your next Webelos den meeting.
- While you are a Webelos Scout, earn the Cub Scout Academics belt loop for Geology.
Helping an Auditory Learner with Webelos Requirements A reader asks about helping an auditory learner with the Webelos requirements. Songs can be a big help to auditory learners.
Webelos Requirements A reader who is a new Webelos den leader is confused about how many activity badges must be completed. We try to sort it out.
Mineral Hardness Scale (Mohs’ Hardess Scale Scratch Test) If your Scout is working on a geology badge, he might need use a mineral hardness scale such as the Mohs's Hardness Scale Scratch Test.
BSA Webelos Den Meeting Plans: Den Meeting Plan #10 – Geologist BSA provides Webelos den meeting plans for Cub Scout den leaders on the Scouting.org website. The tenth Webelos den meeting plan completes the Geologist Activity Badge which was started in meeting plan 9.
BSA Webelos Den Meeting Plans: 9 - Geologist BSA provides Webelos den meeting plans for Cub Scout den leaders on the Scouting.org website. The ninth Webelos den meeting plan focuses on the Geologist Activity Badge. Webelos learn about the history of earth and rocks while working on the Geologist activity badge.
Soil Sample Cupcakes Recipe Scouts always enjoy playing with their food! This would make a nice snack for any den meeting based on one of the ecology lessons.
Geology Belt Loop for Cub Scouts If you know a rockhound, this belt loop would make a great activity for a Pack meeting.
How Mountains Are Formed by Tectonic Plate Collision One of the requirements for Geologist is to talk about how mountains are formed. This very simple demonstration shows how mountains are formed by tectonic plates coming together.
Helps and Requirements for Webelos Webelos is the Cub Scout program for boys in 4th and 5th grade. Find helps and requirements for the Webelos program on this page.
Past Posts On This Day
September 30, 2013
September 30, 2011
September 30, 2010