Cub Scout Archives: Citizen Activity Badge
The Citizen activity badge helps Webelos understand their rights and duties as US citizens. Find helps for this badge here.
With your parent, guardian, or Webelos den leader, complete the Citizenship Character Connection.
- Know: List some of your rights as a citizen of the United States of America. Tell ways you can show respect for the rights of others.
- Commit: Name some ways a boy your age can be a good citizen. Tell how you plan to be a good citizen and how you plan to influence others to be good citizens.
- Practice: Choose one of the requirements for this activity badge that helps you be a good citizen. Complete the requirement and tell why completing it helped you be a good citizen.
- Know the names of the President and Vice-President of the United States, elected Governor of your state and the head of your local government.
- Describe the flag of the United States and give a short history of it. With another Webelos Scout helping you, show how to hoist and lower the flag, how to hang it horizontally and vertically on a wall, and how to fold it. Tell how to retire a worn or tattered flag properly.
- Explain why you should respect your country’s flag. Tell some of the special days we fly it. Tell when to salute the flag and show how to do it.
- Repeat the Pledge of Allegiance from memory. Explain its meaning in your own words.
- Tell how our National Anthem was written.
- Explain the rights and duties of a citizen of the United States. Explain what a citizen should do to save our natural resources.
- As a Webelos Scout, earn the Cub Scout Academics belt loop for Citizenship (if not already earned) or earn the pin. At a Webelos den meeting, talk about the service project Good Turn that you did.
And do two of these:
Tell about two things you can do that will help law enforcement agencies.
- With your Webelos den or your family, visit a community leader. Learn about the duties of the job or office and tell what you have learned.
- Write a short story of not less than 50 words about a former U.S. president or some other great American. Give a report on this to your Webelos den.
- Tell about another boy you think is a good citizen. Tell what he does that makes you think he is a good citizen.
- List the names of three people you think are good citizens. (They can be from any country.) Tell why you chose each of them.
- Tell why we have laws. Tell why you think it is important to obey the law. Tell about three laws you obeyed this week.
- Tell why we have government. Explain some ways your family helps pay for government.
- List four ways in which your country helps or works with other nations.
- Name three organizations, not churches or other religious organizations, in your area that help people. Tell something about what one of these organizations does.
Flag Retirement and Grommets A reader asks about what to do with the grommets after a flag retirement ceremony. What are your opinions?
November Cub Scout Theme - Your Vote Counts (Citizenship) This Cub Scout theme revolves around the ideas of citizenship, duties, and community service. Have a mock election in your pack. Find ideas here.
Messengers of Peace The Boy Scouts of America joined the Messengers of Peace initiative in 2012. This program encourages Scouts around the world to work for peace by being a positive force in their communities.
Simple Indoor Closing Flag Ceremony Basic instructions for a very simple closing flag ceremony. This simple closing flag ceremony is appropriate for a den, pack, or other meeting.
November Cub Scout Theme - Fifty Great States (Citizenship) This Cub Scout theme revolves around the ideas of flag etiquette and service to the community, with a little geography thrown in. Find some ways to form your pack and den programs around this theme in this article.
September Cub Scout Theme - Hometown Heroes (Cooperation) BSA offers supplemental pack program ideas for each month. One theme for the September core value of Cooperation is a Hometown Heroes theme.
August Cub Scout Theme - Kids Against Crime (Honesty) BSA offers supplemental pack program ideas for each month. The newest theme for the August core value of Honesty will be a Kids Against Crime theme.
How to Raise an American: Citizenship Activities for Kids This is a book for adults interested in instilling citizenship and a love of our nation in kids. It includes 1776 specific ideas for raising patriotic Americans.
Flag Etiquette for Kids - Our American Flag Looking for information on flag etiquette for kids? This book covers why countries have flags, the history and requirements of US flag designs, and flag etiquette.
The United States Constitution: A Graphic Adaptation This story of the Constitution in graphic format will engage young readers who are seeking to learn more about the US government.
BSA Webelos Den Meeting Plan 8 - Artist BSA provides den meeting plans for den leaders on the Scouting.org website. The eighth Webelos den meeting plan focuses on the Webelos Artist Activity badge.
Citizenship Belt Loop for Cub Scouts One of the Aims of Scouting is to train youth in the responsibilities of citizenship. One way to promote citizenship in our younger scouts is to encourage them to earn the Citizenship belt loop from the Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program.
March Cub Scout Theme – Planting Seeds of Kindness (Compassion) The core value for the month of March is Compassion. I have heard through the grapevine that the first supplemental plan for this core value will be "Planting Seeds of Kindness".
BSA Webelos Den Meeting Plan 7 - Citizen BSA provides den meeting plans for Cub Scout den leaders on the Scouting.org website. This plan completes many of the requirements for the Citizen Activity Badge.
BSA Webelos Den Meeting Plan 6: Citizen and Webelos Badge This plan continues work on the Citizen activity badge and covers Webelos badge requirement 3 (meaning of the Webelos badge), Webelos badge requirement 4 (Webelos uniform), and Webelos badge requirement 7 (Boy Scout knowledge) .
BSA Webelos Den Meeting Plan 5 – Citizen This meeting plan starts the Citizen activity badge. This is an important meeting, since Citizen is required for the Webelos badge.
Simple Indoor Opening Flag Ceremony Many of our kids have not been exposed to flag etiquette before their first flag ceremony, so take the time to give them some basic instruction. This is a very simple flag ceremony for Cub Scouts to use at Den and Pack meetings.
Displaying the US Flag with Other Flags The US Flag is the symbol of our country. Scouts should know how to fold it, fly it, and handle it. Flag etiquette is part of many of the Scout requirements. In many cases, the rules are pretty straightforward. But in other cases, you just need to know the rules. For example, it gets more complicated when you are flying the US flag with flags from other nations. Here are the basics.
How to Fold the US Flag The US flag is the symbol of our country and every Scout should know how to handle it. One thing I emphasize when working with Scouts on flag etiquette is that the most important thing is respect. Scouts are going to make mistakes from time to time, but they should always do their best to be respectful.
Webelos Den Meeting Plan - Webelos Badge Instead of giving you a typical den meeting plan, I am going to list the badge requirements below and explain what we are doing for each one.
Webelos Citizen Activity Badge Den Meeting Plan Part 2 This meeting plan completes the requirements for the Webelos Citizen activity badge which were started in Webelos Citizen Activity Badge Den Meeting Plan Part 1.
Webelos Citizen Activity Badge Den Meeting Plan Part 1 We'll be focusing on the flag requirements at this meeting (requirement 3, 4, and 5). The following week we will do the requirements which relate to government and personal citizenship.
A Simple Flag Retirement Ceremony When retiring a United Stated flag, some people will say that you must do it this way or that way, but according to the Flag Code, it just needs to be done with dignity.
Citizenship Football Game The purpose of the game is to reinforce the ideas which are discussed in the Webelos Citizen activity badge.
Constitution Word Search Puzzle In honor of Independance Day, here is a word search with vocabulary related to the United States Constitution.
Raising and Lowering the US Flag With Memorial Day approaching, it might be time to review how to raise and lower the United States flag. These are some basic rules for raising and lowering the US flag.
Helps and Requirements for Webelos Webelos is the Cub Scout program for boys in 4th and 5th grade. Find helps and requirements for the Webelos program on this page.