A reader asks about how many requirements must be done at the first Tiger meeting. If you feel like you have too much material for one meeting, split it into two.
Bobcat is the joining rank for Cub Scouts. New Cub Scouts earn Bobcat before any other rank, no matter what age they are when they join. Find helps for the Bobcat program on this page.
To earn the Bobcat rank the new Cub Scout must do the following:
- Learn and say the Cub Scout Promise and complete the Honesty Character Connection.
- Know: Discuss these questions with your family. What is a promise? What does it mean to “keep your word?” What does honesty mean? What does it mean to “do your best?”
- Commit: Discuss these questions with your family. Why is a promise important? Why is it important for people to trust you when you give your word? When might it be difficult to keep your word? List examples.
- Practice: Discuss with family members why it is important to be trustworthy and honest and how can you do your best to be honest when you are doing the activities in Cub Scouting.
- Say the Law of the Pack. Tell what it means.
- Tell what Webelos means
- Show the Cub Scout Sign. Tell what it means.
- Show the Cub Scout Handshake. Tell what it means.
- Say the Cub Scout Motto.
- Give the Cub Scout Salute. Tell what it means.
- With your parent or guardian, complete the exercises in the booklet, How to Protect Your Children from Child Abuse.
All BSA programs to use the Scout Oath and Law – Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Venturers. I think the consistency is good, but I will miss some aspects of the old versions,.
BSA requires discussion of personal safety throughout it’s programs
This is an overview of the second Tiger den meeting plan from the BSA program helps. I’ve included some additional information I think would be helpful.
For the most part, I like the new BSA Program helps. Sometimes the helps are a little light on specifics or you have to hunt around in another publication or online for some additional resources. So I’ve included some additional information I think would be helpful.
Cub Scouts should know the Law of the Pack, but unless they are reciting it all of the time, they aren’t going to remember it. This puzzle will help reinforce the Law of the Pack.
When a new Tiger den is formed, the first advancement step is for them to earn their Bobcat badge. This den meeting plan also throws in plenty of fun
Here is a game you can play if you have a group working on Bobcat together.