Cub Scout Archives: Bear Elective 15 - Water and Soil Conservation
Every living thing depends on clean water and rich earth. It is important that we learn as soon as we can how to care for our water and soil.
Bear Elective 15 Requirements
- Dig a hole or find an excavation project and describe the different layers of soil you see and feel. (Do not enter an excavation area alone or without permission.)
- Explore three kinds of earth by conducting a soil experiment.
- Visit a burned-out forest or prairie area, or a slide area, with your den or your family. Talk to a soil and water conservation officer or forest ranger about how the area will be planted and cared for so that it will grow to be the way it was before the fire or slide
- What is erosion? Find out the kinds of grasses, trees, or ground cover you should plant in your area to help limit erosion.
- As a den, visit a lake, stream, river, or ocean (whichever is nearest where you live). Plan and do a den project to help clean up this important source of water. Name four kinds of water pollution.
May Cub Scout Theme – Destination Parks (Health and Fitness) BSA offers supplemental pack program ideas for each month. One of the Cub Scout themes for the May core value of Health and Fitness is a Destination Parks theme.
October Cub Scout Theme - Jungle of Fun (Responsibility) This theme revolves around the ideas of conservation and using natural resources wisely with an emphasis on how we treat other living beings.
Cub Scout World Conservation Award This award is available to Wolves, Bears, and Webelos. The purpose of the award is to help Cub Scouts think about how we are all interdependent on our environment. The requirements are differnent depending which year the Cub Scout is in.
Soil Sample Cupcakes Recipe Scouts always enjoy playing with their food! This would make a nice snack for any den meeting based on one of the ecology lessons.
Helps and Requirements for Bear Bear is the Cub Scout program for boys in 3rd grade. Find helps and requirements for the Bear program on this page.