Cub Scout Archives: Bear Elective 2 - Weather
Everybody wants to know what the weather is and what it will be tomorrow. Will it rain out my team’s baseball game? Do I need a jacket? Those are questions you have probably asked. In this elective, you will learn how weather forecasts are made, how to measure rainfall and snowfall, and how to figure wind directions.
Bear Elective 2 Requirements
- Learn how to read an outdoor thermometer. Put one outdoors and read it at the same time every day for two weeks. Keep a record of each day’s temperature and a description of the weather each day (fair skies, rain, fog, snow, etc.).
- Build a weather vane. Record wind direction every day at the same hour for two weeks. Keep a record of the weather for each day.
- Make a rain gauge.
- Find out what a barometer is and how it works. Tell your den about it. Tell what “relative humidity” means.
- Learn to identify three different kinds of clouds. Estimate their heights.
- Watch the weather forecast on TV every day for two weeks. Describe three different symbols used on weather maps. Keep a record of how many times the weather forecast is correct.
Bear Electives and Arrow Points Arrow points can be confusing. Each part of an elective counts toward arrow points. In addition, Bears can use the requirements from any achievements they did not do as part of the Bear badge.
Make a Tornado in a Bottle Tornadoes are destructive storms are caused by a vortex. You can use the classic “tornado in a bottle” demonstration to explain how a vortex forms.
Wild Weather Adventure Game This is a board game I came across recently on the NASA Space Place website. It is going to take a little time for you to print and prepare the materials, but I think this would be a hit at any weather themed scout meeting.
Cub Scout World Conservation Award This award is available to Wolves, Bears, and Webelos. The purpose of the award is to help Cub Scouts think about how we are all interdependent on our environment. The requirements are differnent depending which year the Cub Scout is in.
Helps and Requirements for Bear Bear is the Cub Scout program for boys in 3rd grade. Find helps and requirements for the Bear program on this page.
Past Posts On This Day
August 28, 2012
August 28, 2011
August 28, 2010