How do you do Cub Scout genealogy requirements when you have children from non-traditional families who may not know who their grandparents or even parents are?
Cub Scout Archives: Bear Achievement 8 - The Past Is Exciting and Important
Bear Achievement 8 is about history. Find helps for this achievement here.
Bear Achievement 8 Requirements
Complete requirement g and two other requirements.
- Visit your library or newspaper office. Ask to see back issues of newspapers or an almanac.
- Find someone who was a Cub Scout a long time ago. Talk with him about what Cub Scouting was like then.
- Start or add to an existing den or pack scrapbook.
- Trace your family back through your grandparents or great-grandparents; or, talk to a grandparent about what it was like when he or she was younger.
- Find out some history about your community.
- Start your own history: keep a journal for 2 weeks.
- Complete the Character Connection for Respect.
- Know. As you learn about how Cub Scout-age life was like for adults you know, does what you learn change what you think about them. Tell how it might help you respect or value them more.
- Commit. Can you think of reasons others might be disrespectful to people or things you value? Name one new way you will show respect for a person or thing someone else values.
- Practice. List some ways you can show respect for people and events in the past.
The Faith and Our Ancestors Game is an icebreaker activity with a genealogy twist. Players ask each other questions about how they think their ancestors lived.
The My Family Tree Cub Scout program theme revolves around the idea of the faith our ancestors had to set out into the world, especially those who traveled by boat.
“When I Was Young” can be used as one of the gathering activities for any meeting centered around a history theme or a photography or cinema theme. This also works well for a Blue and Gold banquet.
Bear Den Meeting Plans: Bear Achievement 8 – The Past Is Exciting and Important and Bear Achievement 17 – Information Please.
This Cub Scout scrapbook kit includes dimensional stickers, rub-ons and embossed stickers – 89 pieces total!
This Tiger Cub Scout scrap kit is perfect for scrapbooks or other Cub Scout projects.
These Tiger Cub Scout stickers are perfect for scrapbooks or other Cub Scout projects.
Use these embossed Cub Scout stickers to add a special touch to a Cub Scout scrapbook or art project.
Use this Cub Scout scrapbook to record all of those special memories. This postbound scrapbook is perfect for all those Scout pictures and accomplishments.
Perfect for adding creativity to your scrapbook pages and art projects, this package includes 24 double sided cardstock papers all with a Cub Scout theme.
These Cub Scout stickers are perfect for scrapbooks or other Cub Scout projects.
Word on the street is that BSA will release a June Cub Scout theme called “Head West Young Man” for the June core value of Perseverance.
One of the supplemental plans for February will be the old Turn Back the Clock theme. This one was the program theme at least a couple of times in the past.
Helping Scouts look back at their family heritage fits in with February’s Turn Back the Time program theme. Scouts can download this family tree template to write in their family back to their great grandparents.
This plan covers most of Achievement 3 – What Makes America Special – and completes Bear Achievement 8 – The Past Is Exciting and Important – which was started in the first meeting.
BSA provides den meeting plans for den leader on the Scouting.org website. Today, I am going to go through the first Bear plan and including some tips and ideas which are related to the covered requirements. If you don’t already have the BSA den meeting plans, download BSA Bear Den Meeting Plan 1 to follow […]
For this month’s theme, I am focusing on classic outdoor games. These are games which would have been played by the Scout’s parents or even grandparents. There are a few ideas listed on the right, and more will gradually be shown on the Classic Outdoor Games Theme page.
In Bear Achievement 8 – The Past Is Exciting and Important – Cub Scouts learn about history.
Bear is the Cub Scout program for boys in 3rd grade. Find helps and requirements for the Bear program on this page.