Cub Scout Archives: Arrow of Light Badge
- Be active in your Webelos den for at least six months since completing the fourth grade (or for at least six months since becoming 10 years old), and earn the Webelos badge.
- Show your knowledge of the requirements to become a Boy Scout by doing all of these:
- Repeat from memory and explain in your own words the Scout Oath or Promise and the 12 points of the Scout Law. Tell how you have practiced them in your everyday life.
- Give and explain the Scout motto, slogan, sign, salute, and handshake.
- Understand the significance of the First Class Scout badge. Describe its parts and tell what each stands for.
- Tell how a Boy Scout uniform is different from a Webelos Scout uniform.
- Tie the joining knot (square knot)
- Earn five more activity badges in addition to the three you already earned for the Webelos badge. These must include:
- Fitness (already earned for the Webelos badge)
- Citizen (already earned for the Webelos badge)
- At least one from the Mental Skills Group
- At least one from the Technology Group
- Two more of your choice
- With your Webelos den, visit at least
- one Boy Scout troop meeting
- one Boy Scout-oriented outdoor activity.
(If you have already done this when you earned your Outdoorsman activity badge, you may not use it to fulfill requirements for your Arrow of Light Award.)
- Participate in a Webelos overnight campout or day hike.
(If you have already done this when you earned your Outdoorsman activity badge, you may not use it to fulfill requirements for your Arrow of Light Award requirements.)
- After you have completed all 5 of the above requirements, and after a talk with your Webelos den leader, arrange to visit, with your parent or guardian, a meeting of a Boy Scout troop you think you might like to join. Have a conference with the Scoutmaster.
- Complete the Honesty Character Connection.
- Know: Say the Cub Scout Promise to your family. Discuss these questions with them. What is a promise? What does it mean to keep your word? What does it mean to be trustworthy? What does honesty mean?
- Commit: Discuss these questions with your family. Why is a promise important? Why is it important for people to trust you when you give your word? When might it be difficult to be truthful? List examples.
- Practice: Discuss with a family member why it is important to be trustworthy and honest. How can you do your best to be honest even when it is difficult?
Helping an Auditory Learner with Webelos Requirements A reader asks about helping an auditory learner with the Webelos requirements. Songs can be a big help to auditory learners.
Webelos Requirements A reader who is a new Webelos den leader is confused about how many activity badges must be completed. We try to sort it out.
June Cub Scout Theme - Over the Horizon (Perseverance) One of the Cub Scout themes for the June core value of Perseverance is an Over the Horizon theme. This program theme is based on hiking.
Welcoming Webelos to Boy Scout Troop Aaron sent in this question "I am looking for ways to welcome Webelos into Boy Scouts at Pack Meetings, any ideas? Like a cross over, but not as formal."
Crossover Bridge Design Chip sent in this question: "Hi, We are looking to build a crossover bridge and was wondering if you know where we could find some plans Thanks, Chip"
Cub Scout Badges and Awards Kristy asked about Cub Scout badges and awards. The Cub Scout advancement program can be confusing. Here is an explanation, but it will be changing in about a year.
An Unconventional Arrow of Light Award Stephen made a light up Arrow of Light for his son and was kind enough to send in pictures and instructions if anyone else would like to make one.
Reverse Tracking Tool for Webelos Advancement A reader is looking for a tool to determine if an activity in the community corresponds/matches-up with a requirement toward an Activity Badge for Webelos.
BSA Arrow of Light Den Meeting Plan 10 – AOL Creation This idea from the Webelos den meeting plans covers making the commemorative arrows which represent everything the Webelos achieved as Cub Scouts.
Arrow of Light Requirements - Camping I received this question from a reader: Hello, Is camping over night with a boy scout troop, a "must" for Webelos for the Arrow of Light badge? If they just participate in Boy scout led activities during the day, is that enough? Thanks !
BSA Arrow of Light Den Meeting Plan 6 - AOL Hike The sixth in the Arrow of Light series of Webelos den meeting plans covers requirement 5 for the Arrow of Light emblem, which is a hike.
May Cub Scout Theme – Destination Parks (Health and Fitness) BSA offers supplemental pack program ideas for each month. One of the Cub Scout themes for the May core value of Health and Fitness is a Destination Parks theme.
BSA Arrow of Light Den Meeting Plan 1 - Family Member and AOL This Webelos den meeting plan covers part of the Webelos Family Member activity badge and some of the requirements for the Arrow of Light.
How the Boy Scout Law Relates to the Ten Commandments Comparing the 10 Commandments to the Boy Scout Law is an interesting activity for any Boy Scout group.
Cub Scout Embossed Stickers Use these embossed Cub Scout stickers to add a special touch to a Cub Scout scrapbook or art project.
Beginning Boy Scouts An unofficial guide to help parents, new leaders, and even scouting youth to better understand scouting goals and participate in Boy Scouting
Klutz Book of Knots I have to admit that knots are not my strong suit. This book has really helped me learn the various knots I needed to teach to my Cub Scouts.
Arrow of Light Centerpieces Janice recently wrote to me with this message: "I need your help! I've been assigned to help put together our Arrow of Light ceremony / banquet. I'm at a loss as to what to do for centerpieces. We'll have over 10 tables and we don't want to make it look too "blue and gold." Any ideas that you may have could really help me out a lot! " Sometimes simple centerpieces are the best.
Trustworthy Tommy Song Trustworthy Tommy is a song to help Webelos and new Boy Scouts learn the Scout Law. Webelos need to memorize the law to earn the Arrow of Light. New Boy Scouts must memorize it for the Tenderfoot rank. Some boys who have trouble with rote memorization will find that learning the song helps it stick with them. Eventually they should be able to say the Scout Law without the song going through their heads.
Boy Scout Bingo A lot of the requirements for Arrow of Light have to do with learning about Boy Scouts. So to make this more fun, I made up a set of picture bingo cards.
Spring Camporee My Webelos had a great weekend at our district Spring Camporee. Three of my four Webelos attended. Fortunately the severe weather which had been predicted earlier for late Saturday afternoon passed to the south of us, so we did not have to bug out early. The field was wet and muddy and there was some rain, but that didn't dampen their spirits.
A Scout's Prayer by Lord Baden-Powell This prayer is attributed to Lord Baden-Powell himself. B-P clearly believed that faith was an important component of his Scouting program. So while Scouting is not specific to any particular faith, there is a spiritual aspect to it. This prayer, based on the Scout Law, would be appropriate for most groups of Scouts.
60 Hikes Within 60 Miles Book Series We are coming up on some prime hiking season. In the spring the temperatures are mild and it isn't buggy yet. So I am reviewing my favorite hiking book - 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles. Hopefully there is one available in your area.
The Twelve Days of Camping Song Heres another silly song for you. This works well at Christmas (because of the tune) or at camp (because of the theme).
Trustworthy Tommy Song Webelos need to learn about the Scout Law for their Webelos badge and their Arrow of Light Award. This classic Scout song is a fun way to help them learn it.
What Is a Scoutmaster Conference? One thing which sometimes throws new Scouts (and their parents) off guard is the Scoutmaster Conference. What in the world is a Scoutmaster Conference? Am I going to have to tie knots? What if I get nervous and forget how?!!!
Webelos Activity Badges Matching Quiz When Cub Scouts enter their Webelos year, a few things change. One of the things which is different is that they work on activity badges instead of achievements.
Webelos Mini Week Camp at Pine Ridge I'm looking forward to three days and two nights of camping fun at Pine Ridge Scout Camp.
Webelos Parent Orientation A brief explanation of the Webelos program. Den leaders can use this to give a mini-orientation to new Webelos parents.
Planning for Webelos (18 Month Plan) Planning ahead will help you help your scouts achieve their ranks. This is a sample plan to help Webelos earn their Webelos badge and Arrow of Light.
Boy Scout Basics Crossword for Webelos and Scouts A crossword puzzle for Webelos working on their Arrow of Light award or for new Boy Scouts who are working toward their Scout rank. This puzzle has clues from the Boy Scout oath, law, motto, and slogan.
Camping Packing List One thing new scouts (and new leaders) often ask the first few times they go camping is "What do I need to bring?" Download a suggested list of personal camping gear.
Helps and Requirements for Webelos Webelos is the Cub Scout program for boys in 4th and 5th grade. Find helps and requirements for the Webelos program on this page.
Past Posts On This Day
September 22, 2011
September 22, 2010