Cub Scout Archives: Aquanaut Activity Badge
Aquanaut is about being at ease and safe in the water. Find helps for this badge here.
Jump into water over your head. Come to the surface and swim 100 feet, at least half of this using a backstroke.
- Stay in the water after the swim and float on your back and your front, and demonstrate survival floating.
- Put on a personal floatation device (PFD) that is the right size for you. Make sure it is properly fastened. Wearing the PFD, jump into water over your head. Show how the PFD keeps your head above water by swimming 25 feet. Get out of the water, remove the PFD, and hang it where it will dry.
And do three of these:
Do a front surface dive and swim under water for four strokes before returning to the surface.
- Explain the four basic water rescue methods. Demonstrate reaching and throwing rescues.
- With an adult on board, show that you know how to handle a rowboat.
- Pass the BSA “Swimmer” test:
Jump feet-first into water over the head in depth, level off, and begin swimming.
- Swim 75 yards in a strong manner using one or more of the following strokes: sidestroke, breaststroke, trudgen, or crawl.
- Then swim 25 yards using an easy, resting backstroke.
- After completing the swim, rest by floating.
Helping an Auditory Learner with Webelos Requirements A reader asks about helping an auditory learner with the Webelos requirements. Songs can be a big help to auditory learners.
Webelos Requirements A reader who is a new Webelos den leader is confused about how many activity badges must be completed. We try to sort it out.
BSA Arrow of Light Den Meeting Plan 2 - Aquanaut BSA provides Webelos den meeting ideas for Cub Scout den leaders. The 2nd in the Arrow of Light Webelos den meeting plans covers the Aquanaut Activity Badge.
Safe Swim Defense Safe Swim Defense provides the steps which a BSA unit must take to safely participate in an activity which involves swimming.
Water Rescue Methods Since I am focusing on an aquatics theme this month, I thought I'd post about water rescue methods. These are methods used to rescue someone who is in trouble in the water. You will see these methods throughout the BSA programs from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts to Venturing.
BSA Swim Test Pack your swimsuit on top. Those are always the instructions when packing for summer camp, because one of the first things we will have to do when we get there is the swim test. The BSA swim test is used to determine ability level so that participants can swim in an area which is appropriate for them.
Sweet 16 of BSA Safety | Skill Level Limits The most familiar application of skill level limits is the swim tests which are administered at summer camp. But there are other examples as well.
Ideas for May Pack Meeting - Health and Fitness The core value for Cub Scouts for the month of May is Health and Fitness. According to the program helps health and fitness is: Being personally committed to keeping our minds and bodies cleanand fit.Cub Scouts will learn that it is important and easy to eat a healthy diet and how a fitnessprogram can be part of their daily routine.
Swimming Belt Loop for Cub Scouts If your Cub Scouts go to the pool during the summer, they can earn their Swimming belt loop without a lot of effort.
Safety Afloat Before embarking on a boating activity with your scouts, make sure everyone is aware of the Safety Afloat guidelines.
Helps and Requirements for Webelos Webelos is the Cub Scout program for boys in 4th and 5th grade. Find helps and requirements for the Webelos program on this page.
Past Posts On This Day
October 31, 2013
October 31, 2011
October 31, 2010