Boy Scout Archives: Scuba Diving Merit Badge
Start with a dash of swimming skills (the Swimming merit badge). Add equal measures of aquatics first aid, safety, and conservation. Douse liberally with ADVENTURE! That’s what the Scuba Diving merit badge is all about
Scuba Diving Merit Badge Requirements
- Do the following:
- Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while scuba diving, including hypothermia, hyperventilation, squeezes, decompression illness, nitrogen narcosis, motion sickness, fatigue, overexertion, heat reactions, dehydration, injuries by aquatic life, and cuts and scrapes.
- Identify the conditions that must exist before performing CPR on a person, and explain how to recognize such conditions. Demonstrate the proper technique for performing CPR using a training device approved by your counselor.
- Before completing requirements 3 through 6, earn the Swimming merit badge.
- Discuss the Scuba Diver’s Code with your merit badge counselor, and explain the importance of each guideline to a scuba diver’s safety.
- Earn an Open Water Diver Certification from a scuba organization recognized by the Boy Scouts of America scuba policy.
- Explain what an ecosystem is, and describe four aquatic ecosystems a diver might experience.
- Find out about three career opportunities in the scuba industry. Pick one and find out the education, training, and experience required for this profession. Discuss this with your counselor, and explain why this profession might interest you.
Merit Badge Check Off List I've had several requests lately for a newer version of the merit badge check off list, updated with the newest badges. So I've redone the list as a Google spreadsheet. This will make it easier to keep updated.
Age Requirements for Merit Badges A reader asks about how old a Scout should be to work on a merit badge. The Guide to Advancement provides some answers.
Scuba BSA Scuba BSA introduces qualified Boy Scout, Venturing, and registered adult participants to the special skills, equipment, and safety precautions associated with scuba diving;
Scuba Diving Merit Badge for Boy Scouts The Scuba Diving merit badge gives Boy Scouts the opportunity to learn all about scuba. Your local scuba shop might be a good resource. One in our area has chartered a Venture Crew with a scuba specialty.
Venturing Ranger Award Elective - Scuba To complete the Venturing Ranger Award requirements for Scuba, a Venturer must learn all about scuba diving and then assist in teaching others about scuba diving through the Discover Scuba program.
Hobbies Troop Program Feature for Boy Scouts The Boy Scout Roundtable Planning Guide suggests a Hobbies feature for December 2011. So this month we'll take a look at this feature in more depth. Some of the ideas in this program feature will also be useful to Cub Scouts and Venturers who are working on hobbies related programs.
Safe Swim Defense Safe Swim Defense provides the steps which a BSA unit must take to safely participate in an activity which involves swimming.
Swimming Merit Badge for Boy Scouts Our first year Boy Scouts almost always work on Swimming merit badge at summer camp. At our council camps, it is always integrated into the program for first year campers. This works well because the requirements for this badge overlap with the aquatics requirements for Second Class and First Class.
BSA Swim Test Pack your swimsuit on top. Those are always the instructions when packing for summer camp, because one of the first things we will have to do when we get there is the swim test. The BSA swim test is used to determine ability level so that participants can swim in an area which is appropriate for them.
Sweet 16 of BSA Safety | Skill Level Limits The most familiar application of skill level limits is the swim tests which are administered at summer camp. But there are other examples as well.
Requirements and Helps for Boy Scout Merit Badges You can learn about sports, crafts, science, trades, business, and future careers as you earn merit badges. There are more than 100 merit badges.
Past Posts On This Day
July 30, 2012
July 30, 2011
July 30, 2010