Boy Scout Archives: Public Speaking Merit Badge
A lot happens during the course of every person’s life and your ability to communicate your feelings and ideas is the best way to connect to the larger world. Even if you haven’t stood at a podium on the stage and find the whole idea scary, sooner or later, someone is going to ask you to get up and say a few words. If you are prepared, it won’t be scary. It can even be fun.
Public Speaking Merit Badge Requirements
- Give a three- to five-minute introduction of yourself to an audience such as your troop, class at school, or some other group.
- Prepare a three- to five-minute talk on a topic of your choice that incorporates body language and visual aids.
- Give an impromptu talk of at least two minutes either as part of a group discussion or before your counselor. Use a subject selected by your counselor that is interesting to you but that is not known to you in advance and for which you do not have time to prepare.
- Select a topic of interest to your audience. Collect and organize information about the topic and prepare an outline. Write an eight- to 10-minute speech, practice it, then deliver it in a conversational way.
- Show you know parliamentary procedure by leading a discussion or meeting according to accepted rules of order, or by answering questions on the rules of order.
Merit Badge Check Off List I've had several requests lately for a newer version of the merit badge check off list, updated with the newest badges. So I've redone the list as a Google spreadsheet. This will make it easier to keep updated.
Age Requirements for Merit Badges A reader asks about how old a Scout should be to work on a merit badge. The Guide to Advancement provides some answers.
Public Speaking Merit Badge for Boy Scouts Learning to speak in front of a group is important for anyone - young or old.
Requirements and Helps for Boy Scout Merit Badges You can learn about sports, crafts, science, trades, business, and future careers as you earn merit badges. There are more than 100 merit badges.