Boy Scout Archives: Cinematography Merit Badge
Cinematography includes the fundamentals of producing motion pictures, including the use of effective light, accurate focus, careful composition (or arrangement), and appropriate camera movement to tell stories. In earning the badge, Scouts will also learn to develop a story and describe other pre- and postproduction processes necessary for making a quality motion picture.
Cinematography Merit Badge Requirements
- Do the following:
- Discuss and demonstrate the proper elements of a good motion picture. In your discussion, include visual storytelling, rhythm, the 180-axis rule, camera movement, framing and composition of camera shots, and lens selection.
- Discuss the cinematographer’s role in the moviemaking process.
- Do the following:
- In a three- or four-paragraph treatment, tell the story you plan to film, making sure that the treatment conveys a visual picture.
- Prepare a storyboard for your motion picture (this can be done with rough sketches and stick figures).
- Demonstrate the following motion-picture shooting techniques:
- Using a tripod
- Panning a camera
- Framing a shot
- Selecting an angle
- Selecting proper lighting
- Handheld shooting
- Using motion-picture shooting techniques, plan ONE of the following programs (start with a treatment and complete the requirement by presenting the program to a pack or to your troop, patrol, or class):
- Film or videotape a court of honor and show it to an audience.
- Create a short feature of your own design, using the techniques you learned.
- Shoot a vignette that could be used to train a new Scout in a Scouting skill.
- Do ONE of the following:
- With your parent’s permission and your counselor’s approval, visit a film set or television production studio and watch how production work is done.
- Explain to your counselor the elements of the zoom lens and three important parts.
- Find out about three career opportunities in cinematography. Pick one and find out the education, training, and experience required for this profession. Discuss this career with your counselor. Explain why this profession might interest you.
Cinematography Merit Badge for Boy Scouts Boy Scouts will make their own short movie when working on the requirements for the Cinematography merit badge.
Requirements and Helps for Boy Scout Merit Badges You can learn about sports, crafts, science, trades, business, and future careers as you earn merit badges. There are more than 100 merit badges.