Aquanaut is one of the Webelos/Arrow of Light elective adventures. For the Aquanaut adventure, Webelos learn about safety in the water while swimming and boating and practice their aquatics skills.
The requirement for this adventure are shown below. Upon completion of this adventure, Webelos will receive a pin.
Requirements for the Aquanaut Webelos/AOL AdventureComplete 1–5 and any two from 6–10.
- State the safety precautions you need to take before doing any water activity.
- Recognize the purpose and the three classifications of swimming ability groups in Scouting.
- Discuss the importance of learning the skills you need to know before going boating.
- Explain the meaning of “order of rescue” and demonstrate the reach and throw rescue techniques from land.
- Attempt the BSA swimmer test.
- Demonstrate the precautions you must take before attempting to dive head first into the water, and attempt a front surface dive.
- Learn and demonstrate two of the following strokes: crawl, sidestroke, breaststroke, or elementary backstroke.
- Invite a member or former member of a lifeguard team, rescue squad, the U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Navy, or other armed forces branch who has had swimming and rescue training to your den meeting. Find out what training and other experiences this person has had.
- Demonstrate how to correctly fasten a lifejacket that is the right size for you. Jump into water over your head. Show how the lifejacket keeps your head above water by swimming 25 feet. Get out of the water, remove the lifejacket and hang it where it will dry.
- If you are a qualified swimmer, select a paddle of the proper size and paddle a canoe with an adult’s supervision.