The Pathfinder award is the third level award in the newly remodeled award system for Venturers. This award emphasizes leadership, responsibility, planning, goal development, and training.
Venturers complete the Discovery award first, and then move on to this award.
The Pathfinder award requirements are shown below. Upon completion of this adventure, Venturers receive a patch.
Requirements for the Venturing Pathfinder Award
- Participate in at least two additional (for a total of at least four) Tier II or III adventures at the crew, district, council, area, regional, or national level. Serve as a leader for one of the adventures.
- Complete Project Management Training.
- Since earning the Discovery Award, plan and give leadership to a Tier II or Tier III adventure. Work with a youth mentor to ensure that you have organized the adventure in advance, that you are prepared for contingencies, and that you have prepared the members of your crew to take part. In some cases, you may need to confer with an external consultant to assure the adventure is feasible for your crew. The adventure must take place over at least two consecutive nights. If an event lasts more than four nights, an additional Venturer may share in planning and leading the adventure. If two Venturers plan the adventure, they should work with their mentor to ensure that the workload is divided fairly between the two leaders. At the close of the adventure, lead a reflection with the participants in the activity to determine what was learned and how it helped them to work together as a more effective team. An experienced Venturer should serve as your mentor for the adventure.
- Complete one of the following:
- Since earning the Discovery Award, serve actively as crew president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, guide, historian, den chief, or quartermaster for a period of at least six months**. At the beginning of your term, work with your crew president (or Advisor, if you are the president) to set performance goals for the position. Any number of different positions may be held as long as the total length of service equals at least six months. Holding simultaneous positions does not shorten the required number of months. Positions need not flow from one to the other; there may be gaps in time. Once during your term of office, discuss your successes and challenges with your crew president (or Advisor, if you are the president).
- Participate in or serve on staff for leadership training such as National Youth Leadership Training, Kodiak Challenge, National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience, Order of the Arrow National Leadership Seminar, Sea Scout SEAL Training, or Wood Badge (for Venturers 18 or older). You may also participate in non-BSA leadership training courses such as those delivered by the National Outdoor Leadership School, if approved by your Advisor.
- Personal Growth
- Since earning the Discovery Award, explore the two areas (Development of Faith,*** Development of Self, or Development of Others) that you did not explore previously. Based on what you discover, prepare a set of personal reflections or thoughts on the subjects. Use your reflections and what you learned from the process to prepare for fulfilling Personal Growth requirement 7 and for your Pathfinder Award Advisor conference.
- Participate in an ethical controversy discussion activity that includes an extension into conflict resolution.
- In consultation with your Advisor, establish at least two personal goals and achieve them. The goals should be grounded in the areas you explored in Pathfinder Personal Growth requirement 5.
- Plan, organize, and give leadership to a project designed to sustain and grow your crew. Submit the plan to your crew president (or Advisor, if you are president), and explain how you think it will encourage more young people to join Venturing.
- Participate in service activities totaling at least 36 hours. This is in addition to the 24 hours of service required to earn the Discovery Award. Up to half of the service may be delivered personally; the rest must be delivered through crew activities.
- Advisor Conference and Board of Review: Upon completion of the Adventure, Leadership, Personal Growth, and Service requirements, complete the following.
- Participate in an Advisor conference. As a part of this conference, discuss with your Advisor the challenges you faced and what you learned in fulfilling Pathfinder Personal Growth requirements 5 and 7.
- After your Advisor conference, successfully complete a crew board of review.
- *If the crew does not have any youth mentors who have earned the Pathfinder Award and completed Mentoring training, and Advisor or associate Advisor may serve as a mentor to meet this requirement.
- **A Venturer may substitute district, council, area, regional, or national Venturing officer or cabinet officer for the positions listed in this requirement.
- ***Venturers may, but are not required to, share the personal reflection associated with Development of Faith with their Advisor, during the Advisor conference, during a board of review.