Boy Scout learn to appreciate and create art while working on the requirements for the Art merit badge. Your creative Scouts will enjoy this badge.
This merit badge concentrates on two-dimensional art, specifically drawing and painting in various media, including an introduction to design applications in the fields of graphic arts and industrial design, history and design principles, and how these fields relate to fine art.
Art Merit Badge Requirements
- Tell a story with a picture or pictures or using a 3-D rendering.
- Do ONE of the following:
- Design something useful. Make a sketch or model of your design and get your counselor’s approval before you proceed. Then create a promotional piece for the item using a picture or pictures.
- Design a logo. Share your design with your counselor and explain the significance of your logo. Then, with your parent’s permission and your counselor’s approval, put your logo on Scout equipment, furniture, ceramics, or fabric.
- Render a subject of your choice in FOUR of these ways:
- Pen and ink
- Oil paints
- Computer drawing or painting
- With your parent’s permission and your counselor’s approval, visit a museum, art exhibit, art gallery, artists’ co-op, or artist’s workshop. Find out about the art displayed or created there. Discuss what you learn with your counselor.
- Find out about three career opportunities in art. Pick one and find out the education, training, and experience required for this profession. Discuss this with your counselor, and explain why this profession might interest you.