Sports drinks like Gatorade or Power Aid are designed to replenish the water and salt your body loses when you are active or exercising. You can mix up your own powdered mix to accomplish this for a fraction of the cost of purchasing these drinks by the bottle.
The sugar and flavoring in this mix break the monotony of drinking plain water and might encourage you to drink more. The salt helps prevent low blood sodium. Don’t increase the proportions of sugar and salt in the recipe though. Too much sugar and salt will slow the absorption of the water and will put an additional load on your system.
Powdered Sports Drink
- 9 tablespoons table sugar
- 3/8 teaspoon table salt
- 1 packet unsweetened Kool Aid
- Mix all ingredients thouroughly
- Divide the mixture into each of three Ziploc bags.
- When ready to use, add contents of one bag to a 20 ounce bottle.
- Fill about halfway with water.
- Close tightly and shake until well to mix.
- Fill the bottle the rest of the way up with water or with water and two or three ice cubes and shake again. (The ice should melt.)