It’s softball season! If you know a Cub Scout who really enjoys playing softball, have him check out the Softball pin from the Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program. A softball clinic would make a fun pack meeting or activity. Plan one for May, when the core value for the month is Health and Fitness.
Softball Pin Requirements
Earn the Softball belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Compete in a pack or community softball tournament.
- Demonstrate skill in the following throwing techniques: overhand, sidearm, underhand, and the relay throw.
- Demonstrate skill in the following catching techniques: fielding a ground ball, fielding a pop-up, catching a line drive.
- Demonstrate correct pitching techniques and practice for three half-hour sessions.
- Demonstrate correct hitting techniques, including bunting. Practice for three half-hour sessions.
- Explain the rules of base running and demonstrate skill in the following sliding techniques: the straight-in slide, the hook slide, and the headfirst slide.
- Learn and demonstrate base coaching signals.
- Learn about one defensive position (shortstop, catcher, etc.) and practice at that position for three half-hour sessions.
- Attend a high school, college, or community softball game.