Nutrition Pin Requirements
Earn the Nutrition belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Make a poster that shows different foods that are high in each of the vitamins. Using your poster, explain to your den or family the difference between a vitamin and a mineral and the importance of each for a healthy diet.
- Read the nutrition label from a packaged or canned food item. Learn about the importance of the nutrients listed. Explain what you learned to your den or family.
- Make a list of diseases that can be caused by a diet that is poor in nutrition.
- Talk with your school cafeteria manager about the role nutrition plays in the meals your school serves.
- With an adult, plan a balanced menu of breakfasts, lunches, and dinners for your family for a week.
- Make a list of healthy snack foods. Demonstrate how to prepare two healthy snacks.
- With an adult, go grocery shopping. Report to your den or other family members what you learned about choosing good foods to eat.
- Demonstrate how to safely prepare food for three meals.
- Demonstrate how to store leftover food to prevent spoilage or contamination.
- Help with a garden. Report to your den or family about what is growing in the garden and how you helped. Show a picture of or bring an item harvested from your garden.
- Visit a farm or ranch. Talk with the owner about how the farm or ranch produces food for families.
- Explain how physical exercise works with nutrition in helping people be fit and healthy. Demonstrate three examples of good physical activity.