Some kids today seem to be more proficient at using computers than their parents. For your Cub Scouts who know their way around a keyboard and mouse, there is the Computers pin from the Cub Scout Academics and Sports program.
Computers Pin Requirements
Earn the Computers belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Use a computer to prepare a report on a subject of interest to you. Share it with your den.
- Make a list of 20 devices that can be found in the home that use a computer chip to function.
- Use a computer to maintain a balance sheet of your earnings for four weeks.
- Use a spreadsheet program to organize some information.
- Use an illustration, drawing, or painting program to create a picture.
- Use a computer to write a thank-you letter to someone.
- Log on to the Internet. Visit the Boy Scouts of America homepage – http://www.scouting.org
- Discuss with an adult personal safety rules you should use while using the Internet.
- Practice a new computer game for two weeks. Demonstrate an improvement in your scores.
- Correspond with a friend using e-mail. Have at least five e-mail replies from your friend.
- Visit a local business or government agency that uses a large mainframe computer to handle their business. Be able to explain how computers save them time and money in carrying out their work.