All of my sons earned the shooting sports recognitions as Cub Scouts, either at day camp or resident camp. If you have a Cub Scout who loves to shoot, find an opportunity for him to earn the Archery pin from the Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program. Remember, Cub Scouts can only earn archery recognition items at council or district day camp, resident camp, or council-managed family camping programs.
Archery Pin Requirements
Earn the archery belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Explain the parts of a bow and demonstrate how to string the bowstring in a proficient manner.
- Demonstrate how to properly use archery equipment, including arm guards, finger tabs, and quivers and explain about proper clothing.
- Develop proficient shooting techniques by practicing for three hours.
- Learn the correct scoring techniques for target archery.
- Make a poster that emphasizes the four whistle codes.
- Draw to scale or set up an archery range.
- Shoot 30 arrows from a distance of 30 feet at a target and score at least 50 points, or shoot 30 arrows from a distance of 90 feet and score at least 30 points.
- Help make a type of target for the camp archery range.
- Show how to put away and properly store archery equipment.
- ell five facts about an archer in history or literature.