We have had a couple of kids in our Pack get the Snow Ski and Board Sports Belt Loop from the Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program. We tend to have ice storms here more than good snow storms, so they have to be ready when the snow comes or go to a resort to get this recognition.
Don’t forget to follow the guidelines in the Winter Sports Safety section of the Guide to Safe Scouting when participating in winter sports activities.
Snow Ski and Board Sports Belt Loop Requirements
Complete these three requirements:
- Explain the conditioning, clothing, equipment, and planning needed for snow skiing or boarding.
- Explain “Your Responsibility Code,” (below) the rules of safety and courtesy for the slopes:
- Always stay in control
- People ahead of you have the right of way.
- Stop in a safe place for you and others.
- Whenever starting downhill or merging, look uphill and yield.
- Use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
- Observe signs and warnings, and keep off closed trails.
- Know how to use the lifts safely.
- Go skiing or snow boarding. Demonstrate how to stop and turn.