Earlier this month, I wrote about the Badminton belt loop from the Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program. If your Cub Scouts have earned the belt loop and they want another award, they can earn the badminton pin by doing just five more requirements from the list of nine below.
A badminton tournament would make a fun activity for a pack campout. This pin goes along well with my Classic Outdoor Games theme this month.
Badminton Pin Requirements
Earn the Badminton belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Compete in a pack or community badminton tournament.
- Demonstrate your knowledge of the use and care of the equipment needed to play badminton: shuttlecock (shuttle or bird), racket, court, net, and comfortable clothes and shoes.
- Demonstrate skill in the following grip techniques: forehand and backhand.
- Spend at least 60 minutes practicing to develop skills for shots and strokes (clear, drive, drop, and smash). This may be done over several different practice periods. Keep track of your time on a chart.
- Demonstrate skill in the following: hit the shuttle using forehand or backhand; hit the shuttle, alternating forehand and backhand; hit the shuttle against the wall with a forehand or backhand; hit the shuttle against the wall, alternating forehand and backhand.
- Accurately lay out a badminton court, including net and lines.
- Play five games of badminton.
- Participate in a badminton skills development clinic.
- Play at least three games during which you make your own foul calls effectively to your leader’s satisfaction.