This den meeting completes the requirements for the Webelos Traveler activity badge. The plan for the first meeting for this badge is described in yesterday’s post.
In this meeting my den will finish the Geography beltloop (Traveler requirement 12) and we will finish the Map and Compass beltloop (Traveler requirement 13). We will also talk about safety while traveling (Traveler requirement 11). We will also do a orienteering scavenger hunt to practice basic compass skills.
Printable copy of Den Meeting Plan Webelos Traveler Activity Badge – Part 2 (includes a timetable)
Webelos Traveler Activity Badge – Den Meeting Plan 2
- Play Red Light Green Light Game
- Prep one Scout to plan and lead the opening flag ceremony. That Scout will complete requirement 6 for his Webelos badge.
- See simple opening flag ceremony
- Repeat the first four points of the Boy Scout Law (“A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly”)
- Review the Travel Safety Checklist . (Traveler Requirement 11) Give them time to talk about the different items on the list.
- Use a world globe or map to locate the continents, the oceans, the equator, and the northern and southern hemispheres. Learn how longitude and latitude lines are used to locate a site. (Geography belt loop requirement 3) Have them locate places where they have been. See who has gone the farthest from home. Locate their families country of origin.
- Explain how a compass works and show how to use it. (Map and Compass beltloop requirement 2) Keep it simple. Explain how the magnet points north. Show them how to find a bearing using the compass. Let them practice finding a bearing.
Announcements and Recognition Closing
- Repeat again the first four points of the Boy Scout Law (“A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly”)