The Order of the Arrow is Scouting’s national honor society. OA members are dedicated to the ideal of “cheerful service”. They also encourage other Scouts to participate in camping events. (You can read more about it in my article What Is the Order of the Arrow?)
An Order of the Arrow Troop Representative is a youth liaison between the local OA lodge or chapter and his troop. In his troop, he serves the Arrowman as well as adult leaders and Scouts who are not OA members. He encourages Arrowmen to participate in lodge and chapter events. He also works to strengthen the troop’s camping program.
The description and requirements below are an example. Adjust them as necessary to meet the needs of your troop. The printable copy also includes a self evaluation form for the position.
Printable copy of OA Troop Representative Description and Self Evaluation
OA Troop Representative
- Appointed by Senior Patrol Leader and Assistant Senior Patrol Leader with Scoutmaster approval
- OA Member in good standing
- May not serve three consecutive terms
Reports to: The Assistant Senior Patrol Leader
Trained by: Assistant Senior Patrol Leader with assistance from the Assistant Scoutmaster for Older Scouts
OA Troop Representative duties:
- Serves as a communication link between the lodge or chapter and the troop.
- Encourages participation in monthly camping outings.
- Encourages participation in summer camp.
- Encourages older Scout participation in high adventure programs.
- Encourages Scouts to actively participate in community service projects.
- Encourages Arrowmen to assume leadership positions in the troop.
- Encourages Arrowmen in the troop to be active participants in the lodge and/or chapter activities and to seal their membership in the Order by becoming Brotherhood members.
- Participate in outings. Attendance expectation 80%
- Attend troop meetings. Attendance expectation 50%
- Sets a good example.
- Wear the field uniform (class A) correctly to all regular troop meetings and religious services.
- Wear the activity uniform (class B t-shirt) to all outings and other troop activities.
- Lives by the Scout Oath, Scout Law and OA Obligation .
- Shows Scout spirit