Spring is here! And with spring, comes the mud. Here is a really simple camp gadget I saw at a camporee a few years back. It was a simple gadget for scraping the mud off of the bottom of the boots.
The one I saw did not involve any lashings. Only gravity was involved. However, if you wanted to use it for First Class requirement 7b – Use lashings to make a useful camp gadget – you could lash the parts together. It would make the whole thing sturdier.
Printable copy of Boot Scraper Gadget
Boot Scraper Gadget
- Find two sturdy Y shaped sticks and one sturdy straight stick.
- Trim the Y sticks so that the straight piece at the base of each is about 8 inches long.
- Trim the straight stick so it is about 12 inches long.
- Drive the Y sticks into the ground, parallel so that they are about 8 inches apart and the joint of the Y is about 3 inches above the ground.
- Place the straight stick in the Ys. (See printable copy for illustration)
- Scrape the mud from your boots by placing your foot on the straight stick and pressing down a little while drawing your foot across it.