When DS’s den were Webelos, one of our den members was a vegetarian. This made camp cooking a little more interesting. The other den members wanted the boy to be fully included, but they weren’t willing to give up meat themselves. So when we went camping we used “meat optional” recipes.
This was one of their favorite recipes. They all made their own quesadillas, and so our vegetarian just didn’t put chicken in his. Everyone was well fed and happy.
We just used the bag of precooked grilled chicken from the store with this one. The Webelos just had to chop it up. So this was an easy meal for them to prepare.
- Grill over fire
- Cast iron griddle or heavy duty aluminum foil
- Spatula or tongs to turn the quesadillas
- Large flour tortillas (burrito size or bigger)
- Cooked chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- Cheddar cheese or Cheddar/Jack mix
- Sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped olives
- Other “Tex Mex” toppings
- Prepare your fire. If using a griddle, place it over the heat to warm up.
- Place the tortilla on a flat surface and sprinkle some chicken on half of it.
- Sprinkle some cheese over the chicken.
- Fold half of tortilla without any toppings over the topped half.
- Place the tortilla on the hot griddle or on a piece of aluminum foil on the grill.
- Cook until bottom starts to brown.
- Flip the tortilla over and cook until the other side starts to brown.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, lettuce, and other toppings.
- Remove from heat, let cool for a minute, and enjoy!