For this meeting plan for Bear Achievement 5 – Sharing Your World with Wildlife, you will need to take a field trip to a zoo, nature center, wildlife preserve, or similar location. Don’t forget to put the “outing” in Cub Scouting every now and then.
When I did this achievement with my dens, we visited Powder Valley Conservation Nature Center. This nature center in our area has displays which fit right in with the requirements for this achievement. If you don’t know of a place to visit in your area, ask some other Scouters. Roundtable is a great place to get information like this.
Printable copy of Den Meeting Plan for Bear Achievement 5 (Sharing Your World with Wildlife) – includes timeline
Den Meeting Plan for Bear Achievement 5: Sharing Your World with Wildlife
Find a zoo, nature center, aviary, wildlife refuge, or game preserve in your area which you can visit. If possible, contact them ahead of time and tell them what you are trying to accomplish during the meeting. They might be able to provide you with some tips or even arrange for a conservation officer to talk to your group. If possible, arrange to use a meeting room or picnic area for the last part of the meeting
Your will need to gather these materials beforehand:
- Crayons or markers
- Information about endangered and extinct species
- Spend some time looking at exhibits. Remind the scouts that they will have to make a poster later so they should pick an animal they like and learn something about it. – Requirement 5d
- If possible, find an exhibit or display about an endangered species and discuss it. If this is not available, discuss any endangered species. Talk about an animal which has recently become extinct. – Requirement 5e
- Talk about what a wildlife conservation officer does – Requirement 5c
- Make posters of favorite animals, including information learned on field trip – Requirement 5a
Announcements and Closing
- Hand out recognitions
- Announcements for upcoming pack and den events