When we were working on the Engineer activity badge, I told my Webelos that engineering is all about looking at a problem, considering the resources at your disposal, and then finding a solution. In keeping with that way of thinking, the activities I did for this badge were very “free form”. I described what we were trying to accomplish and laid out a bunch of materials to work with. Then I let the Webelos use the materials to come up with their own solutions.
Some of them worked on their own and some in pairs. I gave them some pointers here and there about what to consider, but for the most part I let them go. And they came up with some interesting solutions. They really liked being able to try out their own ideas instead of just being told what to build. And that gave them a good idea of what many engineering jobs require.
If you are not an engineer, find somebody who is to come help with this meeting. That will help your Webelos fulfill requirement 1 and you will have somebody there who is comfortable speaking about the concepts involved and giving your Webelos some guidance.
Printable copy of Webelos Den Meeting Plan for Engineer Activity Badge – Part 1 (includes timeline)
Webelos Engineer Activity Badge Den Meeting Plan Part 1
Arrange for an engineer, surveyor, or architect to come to the meeting to speak about what he or she does.
Your will need to gather these materials beforehand:
- A US flag for an opening ceremony
- Materials for the bridge building activity and the catapult activity
- Printouts for the meeting
- Graph paper to send home for floor plans
- Prep one Scout to organize and lead the opening flag ceremony – see simple opening flag ceremony
- Engineering Terms Crossword Puzzle
Flag ceremony (Webelos Badge Requirement 6 for the Scout leading the ceremony)
- Introduce your guest and have them talk about engineering. Make a list of all of the different things engineers do (Engineer activity badge requirement 1)
- Discuss and make drawings of different kinds of bridges. (See the Webelos handbook)
- Do the Bridge Building Activity (Engineer activity badge requirement 7)
- Do the Spoon Catapult Activity (Engineer activity badge requirement 9)
Announcements and Closing
- Hand out recognitions
- Announcements for upcoming pack and den events
- Hand out graph paper. Explain how they can make a floor plan of their homes. Tell them to bring the floor plan back to the next meeting. (Engineer activity badge requirement 2)