Aware and Care is one of the Webelos/Arrow of Light elective adventures. In the current Webelos Cub Scout program, it is most similar to the Communicator Activity Badge and the Disabilities Awareness Belt Loop and Pin .
For the Aware and Care adventure, Webelos learn about the challenges faced by people with disabilities.
The requirement for this adventure are shown below. Upon completion of this adventure, Webelos will receive a pin.
Webelos/AOL Adventure Requirements: Aware and Care
Do all of these:
- Develop an awareness of the challenges of the blind through participation in an activity that simulates blindness.
- Participate in an activity that simulates severe visual impairment, but not blindness.
- Participate in an activity that simulates the challenges of hearing impairment.
- Engage in an activity that simulates mobility impairment.
- Take part in an activity that simulates dexterity impairment.
- With your den, participate in an activity that focuses on the acceptance of differences in general.
- Do two of the following:
- Do a Good Turn for residents at a skilled nursing facility or retirement community.
- Invite an individual with a disability to visit your den, and discuss what activities he or she currently finds challenging or found challenging in the past.
- Attend a disabilities event such as a Special Olympics competition, an adaptive sports event, a performance with sign language interpretation, or an activity with service dogs. Tell your den what you thought about the experience.
- Talk to someone who works with people who have disabilities. Ask that person how he or she helps people with disabilities.
- Using American Sign Language, sign the Scout Oath.
- With the help of an adult, contact a service dog organization, and learn the entire process from pup training to assignment to a client.
- Participate in a service project that focuses on a specific disability.
- Participate in an activity with an organization whose members are disabled.