Salmon Run is one of the Bear elective adventures. In the current Bear Cub Scout program, it is most similar to Bear Elective 5 – Boats, Bear Elective 19 – Swimming, and the Swimming Belt Loop and Pin.
For the Salmon Run adventure, Bears learn swimming and boating safety rules and then go have fun in the water.
The requirement for this adventure are shown below. Upon completion of this adventure, Bears will receive a belt loop.
Bear Adventure Requirements: Salmon Run
- Explain the safety rules that you need to follow before participating in boating.
- Identify the equipment needed when going boating.
- Demonstrate correct rowing or paddling form. Explain how rowing and canoeing are good exercise.
- Explain the importance of response personnel or lifeguards in a swimming area.
- Show how to do both a reach rescue and a throw rescue.
- Visit a local pool or swimming area with your den or family.
- Demonstrate the front crawl swim stroke to your den or family.
- Name the three swimming ability groups for the Boy Scouts of America.
- Attempt the BSA beginner swimmer classification.