Fur, Feathers, and Ferns is one of the Bear CORE Adventure Requirements. In the current Bear Cub Scout program, it is similar to Bear Achievement 5 – Sharing Your World with Wildlife.
For this adventure, Bears learn about wildlife and plants in their area and about endangered species.
The requirement for this adventure are shown below. Upon completion of this adventure, Bears will receive a belt loop.
Bear Adventure Requirements: Fur, Feathers, and Ferns
- While hiking or walking for one mile, identify six signs that any animals, birds, insects, reptiles, or plants are living nearby the place where you choose to hike.
- Name one animal that has become extinct in the last 100 years. Tell why the animal became extinct. Name one animal that is on the endangered species list. Visit a government website to learn about endangered species in your area.
- Visit one of the following: zoo, wildlife refuge, nature center, aviary, game preserve, local conservation area, wildlife rescue group, or fish hatchery. Describe what you learned during your visit.
- Observe wildlife from a distance. Describe what you saw.
- Use a magnifying glass to examine plants more closely. Describe what you saw through the magnifying glass that you could not see without it.
- Learn about composting and how vegetable waste can be turned into fertilizer for plants.
- Plant a vegetable or herb garden.