Bear Necessities is one of the Bear CORE Adventure Requirements. In the current Bear Cub Scout program, it is similar to Bear Achievement 9 – What’s Cooking, Bear Achievement 12 – Family Outdoor Adventure, Bear Achievement 22 – Tying It All Up, Bear Elective 2 – Weather, Bear Elective 25 – Lets Go Camping, and the Weather Belt Loop.
For this adventure, Bears learn some outdoor skills, go camping, do some cooking, and learn a little about the weather.
The requirement for this adventure are shown below. Upon completion of this adventure, Bears will receive a belt loop.
Bear Adventure Requirements: Bear Necessities
- While working on your Bear badge, camp overnight with your pack at resident camp or another Scouting event.
- Attend a campfire show, and participate by performing a song or skit with your den.
- Make a list of items you should take along on your campout.
- Make a list of equipment that the group should bring along in addition to each Scout’s personal gear.
- With your den, plan a cooked lunch or dinner that is nutritious and balanced. Make a shopping list, and help shop for the food. On a campout or at another outdoor event, help cook the meal and help clean up afterward.
- Help your leader or another adult cook a different meal from the one you helped prepare for requirement 5. Cook this meal outdoors.
- Help set up a tent. Pick a good spot for the tent, and explain to your den leader why you picked it.
- Demonstrate how to tie two half hitches. Explain what the name means and what the hitch is used for.
- Learn how to read a thermometer and a barometer. Keep track of the temperature and barometric pressure readings and the actual weather at the same time every day for seven days.