The February Cub Scout theme features the core value of resourcefulness. The program helps give this explanation of resourcefullness: “Using human resources and other resources to their fullest. Cub Scouts will gain the knowledge and the means to meet situations effectively whether they are working on a service project or completing a den activity.”
So how can we incorporate resourcefulness into our February pack program?
- Honor your adult leaders and Den Chiefs – they are great human resources!
- Study famous inventors who used the materials they had to come up with something new
- Webelos can work on the Engineer activity badge
- Bring in old magazines, egg cartons, boxes, and other “junk” items. Give your Cub Scouts some glue and tape and let them use the items to make a 3-D “self portrait”.
- Give your scouts a simple problem and a variety of materials. Let them work in teams to come up with a solution.
What are your ideas for promoting resourcefulness with Cub Scouts?