This camp spinach rice casserole can serve as a vegetarian main dish or a side dish. It is cooked in a Dutch oven.
I like to cut down on my preparation at camp by cooking the rice and chopping the onion beforehand, but you can also do that at camp if you prefer.
Dutch Oven Spinach Rice Casserole Recipe
Equipment for camp
- 12 inch Dutch Oven
- Heavy duty foil
- Bowl and spoon for mixing
- 25 charcoal briquettes
- Spoon for serving
- 2/3 cup uncooked rice
- 1/2 small onion
- 2 packages frozen spinach, thawed and drained (10 ounce each)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
One day before the campout:
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile chop the onion.
- Put rice and onion in container and refrigerate.
- Prepare your charcoal briquettes.
- Line the Dutch oven with foil.
- Mix together the rice, onion, spinach, cheese, milk, eggs, and seasonings.
- Pour into Dutch oven.
- Place 8 briquettes under the oven and 17 on the lid.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.