Den Leaders, if you don’t have a den chief or two to help with your den, contact your Boy Scout troop and see if they can provide one. A den chief is an invaluable resource for working with Cub Scouts.
The Den Chief is a Boy Scout who works with the Cub Scouts, Webelos Scouts, and den leaders in the Cub Scout pack. They can lead games, participate in discussions, help with Scout skills, and more. They provide a link to Boy Scouts. When your Webelos cross over to the troop, they will feel like they already have a friend there.
When matching up den chiefs to dens, we always take age into consideration. A den chief should be several years older than the Cub Scouts he is working with. If you have a younger Scout who wants to be a den chief, put him with a young den. Webelos would be better off with a teenager as a den chief.
The description and requirements below are an example. Adjust them as necessary to meet the needs of your troop. The printable copy also includes a self evaluation form for the position.
Printable copy of Den Chief Description and Self Evaluation
- Appointed by Scoutmaster
- Second Class Rank or higher
Reports to: The Den Leader in the pack and the Assistant Scoutmaster for the New Scout Patrol in the troop.
Den Chief duties:
- Serve as the activities assistant at den meetings.
- Communicate regularly with the Den Leader to review the den and pack meeting plans.
- If serving as a Webelos Den Chief, prepare boys to join Boy Scouting.
- Project a positive image of Boy Scouting.
- Know the purposes of Cub Scouting.
- Encourage Cub Scouts to join a Boy Scout troop upon graduation.
- Help out at monthly pack meetings.
- Attends at least 2/3 of the den meetings/events during his service period.
- Be a friend to the boys in the den.
- Participate in outings. Attendance expectation 50%
- Attend troop meetings. Attendance expectation 50%
- Set a good example.
- Wear the field uniform (class A) correctly to all regular troop meetings, religious services, and den meetings.
- Wear the activity uniform (class B t-shirt) to all outings and other troop activities.
- Live by Scout Oath and Law.
- Show scout Spirit.