To earn the Venturing Ranger award, a young man or woman must complete eight core requirements and four electives. One of the core requirements is cooking.
The cooking core requirement for the Ranger award covers different types of outdoor cooking. A young man or woman working on this requirement must learn the skills necessary to cook while enjoying outdoor adventure.
Venturing Ranger Award Core Requirement – Cooking
- Plan a menu and purchase the food for at least six people for a two night campout with at least three meals.
- On the campout in (a) above, cook the three meals using at least two of the following three methods of cooking: fire/coals, charcoal, stove.
- Demonstrate and explain proper safe food handling methods for outdoor cooking.
- Demonstrate that you can prepare backpacking-type trail food using a backpacking style stove.
- Without using any cooking utensils, prepare a meal with the four basic food groups for three people.
- Cook an entree, a bread, and a dessert in a Dutch oven.